YMCA of Oakville Board of Directors
Volunteer Director positions
Posting date: March 17, 2020
Closing date: April 10, 2020
As a charity, the YMCA of Oakville, serving Halton Region, responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA’s determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people.
The YMCA of Oakville is seeking applicants from Halton Region for upcoming openings on the Board of Directors. The YMCA is especially interested in applicants from diverse backgrounds with Leadership experience in any of the following areas: Fundraising/Philanthropy, Social/Digital Media and Inclusion. If you are interested in serving your community through the YMCA, consider getting involved as a YMCA Director.
Directors are approved at the YMCA of Oakville’s Annual General Meeting to govern the association on behalf of the community. This is a volunteer position that will involve approximately five to eight hours each month. Directors meet monthly for board meetings and are required to participate in board committees. Board members are also encouraged to attend YMCA events.
The Board of Directors is ultimately accountable for all matters relating to the YMCA of Oakville. However, its primary responsibilities are as follows:
1. Provide a link and liaison with the community.
2. Ensure that the YMCA of Oakville’s By-Laws remain current and relevant.
3. Ensure that the YMCA’s vision and strategic plan are consistent with the organization’s values and mission.
4. Ensure that the annual operating plan is consistent with the YMCA of Oakville’s long-term vision and strategic plan.
5. Support and assist philanthropic and fundraising efforts such as, donor thank yous and speaking engagements.
6. Monitor CEO performance. Recruit and hire, and terminate if necessary.
7. Understand and influence, where necessary, public policies that affect the YMCA.
8. Govern, acquire, liquidate and provide control over all properties and assets of the organization.
9. Report to the community, YMCA members and participants at the Annual General Meeting.
10. Ensure that there are systems and procedures that regularly solicit, welcome and respond to concerns raised by all YMCA stakeholders.
If you are interested in this volunteer position, please submit your resume and a cover letter stating how you can contribute to our Board to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.