We’re currently looking for an enthusiastic, sports-oriented Community Basketball Coach.
The Community Basketball Coach will assist with program delivery of community-based basketball programs for children and youth 5-15 years of age. The ideal candidate will have a passion for working with youth and ensuring positive experiences for participants while delivering high quality, skills-focused programs.
Salary and benefits:
- Pay rate $14.50 per hour
- A complimentary YMCA membership which encourages you to embrace the Y’s philosophy of health and well-being
- Opportunities for career growth and professional development
Hours of work:
- Tuesday 5 pm – 6 pm ; Wednesday 6 pm-7 pm; Wednesday 8 pm-9 pm; Saturday 1 pm-3 pm (Additional hours available during lunch hours varying days )
- Deliver community-based basketball programs at various locations within the Oakville community using the JR NBA curriculum provided by Basketball Canada
- Implement NCCP Coaching Training (provided by the YMCA of Oakville)
- Patiently guide participants through a 10 or 12-week basketball curriculum
- Act as a positive role model and mentor to youth participants
- Responsible for assisting with, and maintaining attendance and other program information
- Solicit participant feedback during the program
- Consider the health and safety of all participants and assess and respond to potential areas of risk
- Promote inclusion and a sense of belonging using age-appropriate skills, drills and activities
- Collaborate with other YMCA staff members, community partners and volunteers to support effective team work
- Facilitate meaningful connections while ensuring a welcoming and an open environment for all
Skills and Experience:
- NCCP Coaching Certificate Level 1
- Secondary school diploma or post-secondary diploma degree required
- At least six months of work experience, preferably working with children and youth in recreational programs
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Conflict resolution skills and problem solving
- Effective teamwork and collaboration skills
- An ability to deal with sensitive and confidential situations in a professionalism manner
- Ability to model the YMCA’s mission, vision and values
- A recent police security check including vulnerable sector screening
This dynamic position requires the following YMCA core competencies: Quality focus, relationship building and collaboration, communication, diversity and inclusion, integrity and trust, commitment to organization mission, vision and values.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com .
We thank all applicants, however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter or email.