Posting date: Tuesday, November 7, 2017
Closing date: Thursday, November 30, 2017
Lifeguard / Swim Instructor
Position: All Positions
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is devoted to responding to the needs of our community through our core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, inclusiveness, and embracing. We are seeking individuals who are committed to making social change, have a passion for developing and nurturing potential, and are dedicated to fostering strong relationships and building connections to the community. In 2016, through our dedication to helping all ages, backgrounds and abilities, we had a positive impact on the lives of 30,287 people! We couldn’t do this without the support of: Over 550 staff who deliver on the YMCA mission and vision every day, 378 volunteers who dedicated 9,349 hours of their time, Community partners and funders who share our determination to strengthen the community as well as our countless donors who give generously so that our programs and services are accessible for all.
Due to the nature of our work, all offers of employment are conditional on the applicant providing a current and satisfactory Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening at the time of hire. You can apply for your Police Records Check at haltonpolice.ca.
Nature and Scope
Lifeguard/Swim Instructors help in maintaining the safe operation of all Oakville YMCA Aquatic Programs. They facilitate exciting swim lessons for children and adults, teaching them valuable life-skills, and instilling confidence in the pool. Lifeguard/Swim instructors ensure that the pool area is safe by ensuring that the YMCA’s pool rules are followed, and following Ontario Pool regulations. As valuable members of the YMCA Team, they work to make the pool safe and enjoyable for all members and swim students.
- 2-3 shifts per week
- 7-25hrs per week
- Evening shifts between 4pm and 10:30pm on weekdays
- Daytime shifts between 5am-4pm
- Weekend shifts between 7am and 7pm
- YMCA Membership
- Leadership Development Opportunities
- Change Lives
- Ensuring the safety and well being of everyone swimming in the pool
- Enforcing all Ontario pool regulations and YMCA of Oakville Pool Rules and Admission Standards.
- Teach various levels of swimming from Parent & Tot to Adult lessons.
- Learn leadership skills while developing a lesson plan for a 12 week course for students, focusing on stroke progression
- Administrative work as required to update the parents of students on their progress
- Adhering to the YMCA Child Protection Policy
- Working with other Staff and volunteers as a team to make sure that the pool runs smoothly
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- National Lifesaving Society Certification
- Must have valid Standard First Aid with CPR C (infant/child CPR)
- Swim Instructor Certification
- Ability to communicate effectively with Staff, Parents and Children
- Conflict resolution and team work skills
- Clear criminal reference check which includes vulnerable sector screening
- Life Saving Society advanced instructors
- Aqua Fitness certification
- Experience working with children and families
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
Please email or send your resume and cover letter to the attention of Wendy Huang, Aquatics Supervisor
firstname.lastname@example.org / 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application