This position will be responsible for planning and delivery of the major and leadership giving program for the YMCA of Oakville. The Development Officer will identify, cultivate, solicit and steward major giving, leadership and vital giving from individuals, family foundations and corporations, in support of the YMCA mission programs. This position will be reporting to the Regional Vice President of Philanthropy.
35 hours/week, Monday to Friday, ability to work flexible hours.
- Competitive pay and a comprehensive benefit package
- YMCA Membership included (Health, Fitness & Aquatics)
- Opportunities for professional development and career growth
- Plan for and secure, individual, family foundation and corporate giving at all levels with emphasis on major gifts.
- Identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors, with focus on individuals, family foundations and corporations.
- Lead face-to-face solicitation calls.
- Develop a 3 to 5-year plan to increase giving.
- Work with other members of the development team and marketing to co-develop and implement donor recognition and stewardship programs.
- Support development and implementation of new philanthropic initiatives related to endowment/planned giving.
- Provide support to the Philanthropy Committee.
- Ensure the association’s Financial Development program complies with YMCA policies and procedures, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and legal requirements and is aligned with industry best practices (e.g. Imagine Canada Standards Program).
- Maintain up to date knowledge of current and emerging charitable sector trends and legislation.
- Engage with key members and volunteers within the YMCA community and to effectively interact with staff, the Board of Directors, the Philanthropy Committee, donors and a variety of community partners.
- Complies with all gift-related policies and procedures and ensures ethical compliance, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals.
Knowledge & Skills Required:
- Post-secondary degree or certification in related field.
- Minimum 2-5 years of fund development experience in progressively senior roles.
- Excellent relationship building skills and donor cultivation and solicitation experience.
- Excellent skills in all methods of communication, writing and relationship building.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Self-motivated with ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to think strategically, outcome focused and strong decision maker.
- Driver’s license and reliable vehicle (mileage to be reimbursed).
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures.
- Knowledge of legislative requirements with respect to charitable gifts and receipting.
- Clear security clearance with vulnerable sector screening.
- CFRE designation preferred.
- Knowledge of RE, MS Office and donor relationship platforms considered an asset.
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and Collaboration, Communication, Diversity and Inclusion, Integrity and Trust, Commitment to Organization Mission, Vision and Values.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with a subject line “Development Officer”.
Closing date: February 4, 2019
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville. We thank all applicants and only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association. If you require accommodation during any stage of the recruitment process, please indicate this in your cover letter (or email).