We are now accepting applications for the 2019 Peter Gilgan Leadership Award.
The deadline to submit applications is Monday, July 15, 2019.
Funded through the Peter Gilgan Charitable Foundation, the award is presented each year to five YMCA of Oakville youth employees who have made notable contributions to the YMCA and the Oakville community. The award consists of five bursaries of up to $5,000 that are given annually selected employees to assist them with their post-secondary education costs.
The award consists of five bursaries of up to $5,000 that are given annually to selected employees to assist them with their post-secondary education costs.
- Applicant must be currently employed by the YMCA of Oakville
- Applicant must be under the age of 30 at the time of application
- Applicant must be enrolled, or planning to enroll, in full-time or part-time post-secondary studies at an accredited University or post-secondary equivalent college.
- Applicant must submit a completed application package by the application deadline
*Please note that previous winners of the PGLA are not eligible to re-apply.
Applications will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Characteristics and abilities of the candidate (including, motivation/initiative, leadership skills, employee performance record, demonstration of YMCA values and commendations)
- Contributions to the YMCA and community
- Impact of the award (special circumstances noted by the applicant)
- Area of study (scope and objective of education program and career objectives)
Eligible candidates must provide the following:
- Completed application form
- Proof of enrolment in a post-secondary institution
- Letter of reference from their immediate supervisor at the YMCA of Oakville
**Bursaries will be awarded for the Fall 2019 semester.
Click here to download the application >
The program is administered by the YMCA of Oakville in conjunction with the Peter Gilgan Foundation. Applicants are screened based on the above criteria and referred to the selection committee for consideration. Assessment includes the employee’s performance record, length of service, and the nature of the applicant’s current assignment. The selection committee may also consult with supervisory staff members, as appropriate, to better assess the candidate’s job performance and leadership potential.
For more information please contact Ramanjit Kaur Virk at [email protected].
Past Award Recipients
2018 Recipients2017 Recipients2016 Recipients2015 Recipients2014 Recipients2013 Recipients2012 Recipients2011 Recipients
Kwasi Adjei, Benjamin Jarvis-Frain, Michael Kwon, Taylor Lepage, Nicola Taccone
Nikita Cadranel, Evan Lubansky, Caroline O’Brien, Ryan Natividad, Michael Vanstone
Maxwell Boateng, Chenya Bourne, Elizabeth O’Brien, Erica Pettinato, Sarah Rouse
Phebe Abaya, Kyla Champken, Gabriella Paniccia, Connor Smith, Logan Townsend
Sarah Carpenter, Soma Jawed, Nicolas Lehman, Claire Wilkinson, Sean Williams
Sarah Austin, Kevin Das Neves, Marion Goreski, Sumaira Mumtaz, Lindsay Wilk
Jonny De Oliveira, Matthew Ellies, Michelle Ng, Natasha Ng
Sarah Buchanan, Nicholas Morrison, Michelle Ng, Faye Williams