Posting date: April 18, 2017
Closing date: May 2, 2017
Volunteer Director positions (2)
Expertise Sought: Philanthropy, Fundraising, Business Development and Project Management
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is devoted to responding to the needs of our community through our core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, inclusiveness, and health. We are seeking individuals who are committed to making social change, have a passion for developing and nurturing potential, are dedicated to fostering strong relationships and building connections to the community. In 2015, through our dedication to helping all ages, backgrounds and abilities, we had a positive impact on the lives of 29,915 people! We couldn’t do this without the support of:
Over 550 staff who deliver on the YMCA mission and vision everyday, 424 volunteers who dedicated 9700 hours of their time, Community partners and funders who share our determination to strengthen the community and our countless donors who give generously so that our programs and services are accessible for all.
Due to the nature of our work, all volunteer board placements are conditional on the applicant providing a current and satisfactory Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening at the time of hire. You can apply for your Police Records Check at haltonpolice.ca.
The YMCA of Oakville is seeking applicants for two upcoming openings on the Board of Directors. The YMCA is especially interested in applicants from diverse backgrounds with expertise in any of the following areas: Philanthropy, Fundraising, Business Development and Project Management . If you are interested in serving your community through the YMCA, consider getting involved as a YMCA Director.
Directors are approved at the YMCA of Oakville’s Annual General Meeting to govern the association on behalf of the community. This is a volunteer position that will involve approximately five to eight hours each month. Directors meet monthly for board meetings and are required to participate in board committees. Board members are also encouraged to attend YMCA events.
The Board of Directors is ultimately accountable for all matters relating to the YMCA of Oakville. However, its primary responsibilities are as follows:
- Provide a link and liaison with the community.
- Ensure that the YMCA of Oakville’s By-Laws remain current and relevant.
- Ensure that the YMCA’s vision and strategic plan are consistent with the organization’s values and mission.
- Ensure that the annual operating plan is consistent with the YMCA of Oakville’s long-term vision and strategic plan.
- Support and assist philanthropic and fundraising efforts such as, donor thank yous and speaking engagements.
- Monitor CEO performance. Recruit and hire, and terminate if necessary.
- Understand and influence, where necessary, public policies that affect the YMCA.
- Govern, acquire, liquidate and provide control over all properties and assets of the organization.
- Report to the community, YMCA members and participants at the Annual General Meeting.
- Ensure that there are systems and procedures that regularly solicit, welcome and respond to concerns raised by all YMCA stakeholders.
If you are interested in this volunteer position, please submit your resume and a cover letter stating how you can contribute to our board to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to: 905-842-6792.
We thank all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department at email@example.com.