We are currently looking for a Team Leader to join the HFA team at the Oakville YMCA. The Team Leader assists with the planning and quality assurance of Child & Youth programs, specializing in Adventure Centre (indoor rock climbing facility) operations and YMCA Birthday Parties. The Adventure Centre at the Peter Gilgan Family YMCA offers 10 different 10m climbs and over 3,000 square metres of bouldering area, with a multitude of movable holds and angles. We provide climbing to challenge every age and level of climber. The Team Leader would also be responsible for coordinating Birthday Party staff, schedule and requirements. Quality Assurance is instrumental in ensuring our programs and services are providing positive experiences for participants and delivering high quality programs, based on YMCA mission & the needs of individuals in the programs. The Team Leader would provide additional support for the association by participating in Service Leader functions and rotations.
Sunday: 9:30am – 4:30pm Monday – Thursday 1:30pm-8:30pm
- Maintaining the Adventure Centre, setting routes and purchasing ropes and equipment
- Ensuring safety of participants while rock climbing by developing and adhering to safe operational practices
- Oversee and develop afternoon and evening Child and Youth programs, in coordination with supervisor
- Program planning, and assisting with the seasonal Program Schedule and Registered program guide
- Implement / Evaluate programs to accommodate members & community needs
- Develop program content and assist with delivery of programming, including Youth Leadership Program and Birthday Parties
- Participate as Service Leader on a weekly rotation, monitoring and assuring high quality programs are being offered in all program areas including, Aquatics, Wellness, & Child & Youth programs
- Organize and ensure parties are high quality, staffed appropriately and participants are satisfied
- Instruct staff how to properly belay and adhere to safe practices while working in the Adventure Centre
- Train interested YMCA members how to safely belay for their approved climbing partners
- Mentor and role model to staff and volunteers the effective performance of daily tasks enabling them to meet YMCA standards
- Support and assist staff and help deliver daily operations for all evening and weekend Health, Fitness and Aquatics programs
- Develop/enhance operational guidelines for the Adventure Centre
- Develop/enhance curriculum for Climbing Lessons and Youth Leadership Program
- Assist with scheduling staff for evening/weekend programs and services.
- Assist with budget development for Adventure Centre and Birthday Parties.
- Document and administer staff training and certification requirements
Human Resources/Staff & Volunteer Development
- Assist with the recruitment, orientation and training of staffs, volunteers and coop students.
- Assist with quarterly staff training for the Child and Youth department, including the Adventure Centre Staff
- Assist with ensuring the department’s commitment to the YMCA of Oakville’s Child Protection Policies and Procedures.
Knowledge and skills required:
- Experience in planning children and youth programming
- Excellent customer service skills and relationship building skills
- Previous experience with leading a team
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience with training staff and volunteers
- Standard First Aid certificate
- Clear police security check with vulnerable sector screening
- 2yrs experience working with children, youth and teens in related fields
- Related post-secondary education or related equivalent working experience in same field
- Proven advanced indoor rock climbing experience/or Level 1 climbing gym instructor climbing certification or equivalent
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to:
Derek Banks, Supervisor Child & Youth Programs
firstname.lastname@example.org / 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted