Posting Date: Friday January 27, 2017
Closing Date: Monday February 13, 2017
Position: Full-time Seasonal Contract
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is devoted to responding to the needs of our community through our core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, inclusiveness, and health. We are seeking individuals who are committed to making social change, have a passion for developing and nurturing potential, are dedicated to fostering strong relationships and building connections to the community. In 2015, through our dedication to helping all ages, backgrounds and abilities, we had a positive impact on the lives of 29,915 people! We couldn’t do this without the support of:
Over 550 staff who deliver on the YMCA mission and vision everyday, 424 volunteers who dedicated 9700 hours of their time, Community partners and funders who share our determination to strengthen the community and our countless donors who give generously so that our programs and services are accessible for all.
Due to the nature of our work, all offers of employment are conditional on the applicant providing a current and satisfactory Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening at the time of hire. You can apply for your Police Records Check at haltonpolice.ca.
Nature and Scope
The Summer Day Camp Counsellors will report to the Summer Camp Integration Team Leader are directly responsible for ensuring a fun, safe and positive experience for children with special needs. Additionally, they are responsible for planning portions of their daily and schedule and participating fully in camp wide theme days and special events
Work Schedule & Benefits
- Seasonal (start June 24); Monday-Friday; 7:00am-6:00pm (shifts vary)
- May be required to attend overnight programs (Valens)
- Attends and fully participates in all pre-camp training
- Free YMCA Membership for length of Contract
- Leadership development opportunities
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff
- Assists Program Coordinators and Counsellors with the modification of delivered programming based on individual camper needs
- Plans and delivers fun, age appropriate programs as outlined during training and by the Supervisor
- Builds rapport and manages group behavior to ensure an emotionally and physically safe environment for children and youth
- Ensures the delivery of high quality camp programs while ensuring safety
- Fully and enthusiastically participates in all camp activities, including all program and special events
- Recognizes the uniqueness and interests of all children and youth and assists them to successfully achieve their goals at camp
- Models appropriate behavior in all interactions with co-workers, other YMCA staff and the public, ensuring behavior aligns with YMCA core values at all times
- Ensure all communication with co-workers, families, partners, other YMCA staff and the public is professional and courteous at all times
- Ensures family inquiries and concerns are shared with the Supervisor of Camps and Youth Engagement to ensure prompt, professional follow up
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain and deal with sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism
- Responsible for maintaining attendance
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Experience planning and leading programs for children and youth
- Emergency First Aid and CPR ‘C’ prior to the first day of camp
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Strong team work and leadership skills
- Post-secondary education in a related field is an asset
- Experience working within a summer day camp or residential day camp program is an asset
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: quality focus, relationship building and collaboration, commitment to organization mission, vision and values, communication, diversity and inclusion, integrity and trust. The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.