Nature and Scope
The Summer Day Camp Counsellor will report through the Summer Camp Director and is responsible for ensuring a fun, safe and positive experience for a group of up to 10 children or 15 youth. The camp counsellor is instrumental in ensuring positive experiences for participants, delivering high quality mission based programs; responsibilities will also include planning portions of the daily schedule and participating fully in camp wide theme days and special events.
Salary and Work Schedule
- Seasonal (start June 23); Monday-Friday; 7:00am-6:00pm (shifts vary)
- May be required to attend overnight programs (Valens)
- Attends and fully participates in all pre-camp training & staff meetings
- Attends and fully participates in one family engagement event
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth and fellow staff
- Provides direct supervision to a group of 10 children every day
- Plans and delivers fun, age appropriate programs as outlined during training and by the Supervisor
- Builds rapport and manages group behavior to ensure an emotionally and physically safe environment for children and youth
- Ensures the delivery of high quality camp programs while ensuring safety
- Fully and enthusiastically participates in all camp activities, including all program and special events
- Recognizes the uniqueness and interests of all children and youth and assists them to successfully achieve their goals at camp
- Models appropriate behavior in all interactions with co-workers, other YMCA staff and the public, ensuring behavior aligns with YMCA core values at all times
- Accesses program resources and seeks support from Supervisor to ensure the delivery of a wide range of age appropriate programs for children and youth
- Ensure all communication with co-workers, families, partners, other YMCA staff and the public is professional and courteous at all times
- Demonstrates the ability to maintain and deal with sensitive and confidential situations with professionalism
- Responsible for maintaining attendance
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Experience planning and leading programs for children and youth
- Emergency First Aid and CPR ‘B’ prior to the first day of camp
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Effective conflict resolution skills
- Strong team work and leadership skills
- Post-secondary education in a related field is an asset
- Experience working within a summer day camp or residential day camp program is an asset
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org/ 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.