Posting date: Tuesday November 21, 2017
Closing date: Friday December 1, 2017
Location: Various Locations
Nature and Scope
The Summer Camp Inclusion Director will report through the Supervisor, Camp & Youth Engagement. The primary focus of this position will be to provide overall supervision to the Day Camp Inclusion Program ensuring that children and youth with a variety of special needs have a safe, positive experience. The Inclusion Director provides direct supervision (with the support of Directors and Summer Camp Supervisor) to the Inclusion counsellors, with the goal of ensuring an integrated camp experience for all campers. The Inclusion Director ensures the successful delivery of the Inclusion Program and adheres to all YMCA of Oakville Day Camp best practices, procedures and policies.
- Seasonal (Starting June 4,2018); Monday-Friday; (on-site – 8:30 am – 4:30 pm; off-site responsibilities as required)
- Attends regular staff meetings as well as family involvement events during summer
- Attends and fully participates in all pre-camp training
- May be required to attend overnight programs
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth, co-workers and families
- Provides direct supervision, coaching and support to staff and volunteers on a daily basis
- Ensures effective communication with families
- Conducts site visits to all day camp locations to support children and counsellors within the camp environment
- Assists with the recruitment, orientation and training of summer camp counsellors, volunteers and placement students
- Ensures that all camp staff have access to program resources and provides ongoing support and ideas to best meet the unique needs of children in the day camp program
- Supports Team Leaders, Program Coordinators and Camp Counsellors to ensure programs are modified to meet the needs of all children and youth
- Works effectively as part of the camp team and within the YMCA to assist in the achievement of group and organizational goals
- Collaborates with Reach for the Rainbow to provide a fun, safe and positive experience for all campers
- nsure compliance with YMCA of Oakville Child Protection policies and procedures at all times
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working within a summer day camp or overnight camp program
- Experience planning and leading programs for children and youth
- Standard First Aid and CPR ‘C’ (prior to the first day of camp)
- Prior experience working with children who have special needs is an asset
- Strong interpersonal communication, conflict resolution, team work and leadership skills
- Prior experience supervising staff and volunteers within a camp environment an asset
- Must have a current and valid police records check with vulnerable sector screening
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to:
Address: 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.