Posting date: Thursday February 22, 2018
Closing date: Friday March 2, 2018
Location: Valens Conservation Area
Nature and Scope
The Summer Camp Director will report through the Supervisor, Camp & Youth Engagement. The primary focus of this position will be to provide overall supervision to the day camp program ensuring that all children and youth have a safe, positive experience. The Director provides direct supervision (with the support of the Summer Camp Supervisor) to a team of camp staff ensuring ongoing coaching and support to achieve summer camp goals. The Director ensures the successful day to day operations of camp and adheres to all YMCA of Oakville Summer Camp best practices, procedures and policies.
- Seasonal (Starting June 4, 2018); Monday-Friday; (on-site – 8:30 am – 4:30 pm; off-site responsibilities as required)
- Attends regular staff meetings as well as family involvement events during summer
- Attends and fully participates in all pre-camp training
- May be required to attend overnight programs
- Acts as a positive role model for children, youth, co-workers and families
- Provides direct supervision, coaching and support to staff and volunteers on a daily basis
- Ensures effective communication with families
- Assists with the recruitment, orientation and training of summer camp counsellors, volunteers and placement students
- Ensures that all camp staff have access to program resources and provides ongoing support and ideas for program improvement
- Collaborates with Inclusion Director to ensure high-quality modified programming for the inclusion of all campers
- Regularly assists camp staff in delivery of high quality camp programs while ensuring safety
- Ensures accurate attendance of campers and ensures appropriate follow up as necessary
- Works effectively as part of the camp team and within the YMCA to assist in the achievement of group and organizational goals
- Ensures compliance with YMCA of Oakville Child Protection policies and procedures at all times
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working within a summer day camp or overnight camp program
- Experience planning and leading programs for children and youth
- Emergency First Aid and CPR ‘B’ (prior to the first day of camp)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and conflict resolution skills
- Strong team work and leadership skills
- Prior experience supervising staff and volunteers within a camp environment an asset
- Must have a current and valid police records check with vulnerable sector screening
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to:
Address: 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville, please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.