Posting date: Friday, October 6, 2017
Closing date: Sunday, October 22, 2017
Position: Full Time
Location: Peter Gilgan Family YMCA
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is committed to strengthening community in spirit, mind and body. With the support over 560 staff, 380 volunteers, numerous community partners and donors, we deliver on our vision and mission every day. We are a community leader who progressively advocates for the well-being of people and building strong, healthy and vibrant communities.
Nature and Scope
Reporting to the Director Philanthropy, Marketing & Communications, the Graphic Designer/Marketing Coordinator (GD/MC) is responsible for delivering creative and innovative marketing communications solutions which support the association’s and departmental short-term and long-term goals and drive marketing results as identified in operational plans. The GD/MC works collaboratively with the Supervisor, Marketing & Communications to implement integrated communications and marketing strategies ensuring all outputs meet YMCA brand standards. The GD/MC sources, nurtures and manages relationships with external suppliers. He/she works closely with vendors to ensure solutions are cost-effective and deadlines are met.
- Meets timelines according to the annual Marketing Communications Plan
- Plays an active role in ensuring the integrity of the YMCA visual and verbal brand internally and externally
- Aligns the visual elements of print and digital campaigns for consistency
- Responsible for the development of a variety of print and digital projects including, but not limited to: advertising, digital marketing, program schedules and guides, flyers, posters, displays and signs, fillable PDF forms, web banners, customizable Microsoft Word and PowerPoint templates
- Manages the print production process with vendors
- Actively contributes to the creative process within the Marketing Communications team, sharing ideas and open feedback as needed.
- Continually seeks opportunities to streamline operations and leverage efficiency through cross-promotions, standardized resources (templates) and economies of scale.
- Keeps informed of new developments and trends in graphic design, marketing communications and sales, and shares this information with the team to help the association operate with initiative and innovation
- Manage and grow digital engagement with members and the community adhering to the YMCA Digital Engagement Guidelines and best practices, collaborating with other departments to create engaging content and reporting monthly on ROI
- Manages the YMCA Oakville website updates and SEO/Google Ads page optimization
- Work with the Director, and other departments, to update internal communications platforms
- Developing a social media calendar and ensuring a consistent presence through daily postings, photography, video on YMCA of Oakville social media sites including but not limited to (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram)
- Project management – able to manage assigned projects from beginning to final delivery, and move projects along through project stages and stay within budget.
- Ability to prioritize tasks in multi-project environment to meet expected deadlines
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in graphic design, marketing, communications or related field.
- 2-3 years experience working as a graphic designer within a collaborative creative team
- Excellent project management skills
- Able to manage and prioritize within tight and shifting deadlines
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat
- Self-motivated, driven and passionate about creativity
- Solid understanding of the printing process and experience managing the process
- Technical proficiency and aptitude for learning new technology within the graphic design/marketing communications fields
- Has multiple platform social media experience that builds audience engagement
- Experience working with WYSIWYG web editors/WordPress and basic HTML skills
- Open and receptive to design critique, but also able to represent their own work
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Experience working with not-for-profit or charitable organizations preferred
- Photography and videography experience considered an asset
- Quality Focus: Ensures all deliverables meet YMCA brand standards and are innovative, creative and customer-focused for service excellence.
- Communication: Acts as a brand lead and champion to effectively communicate key brand messages internally and externally.
- Relationship Building & Collaboration: Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
- Integrity and Trust: Demonstrates responsible and trustworthy behavior always and maintains high ethical standards.
Commitment to Organizational Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation for the Strategic Objectives, Mission, Vision, and Values of the YMCA.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org / 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to
excellence and inclusion in our Association