Posting date: Monday, November 20th 2017
Closing date: Friday, December 1st 2017
Location: Peter Gilgan Family YMCA
Nature and Scope
The Donor Relations Coordinator, is an integral member of the YMCA Oakville’s fundraising and development initiatives. Reporting directly to the Director Philanthropy, Marketing & Communication and working closely with other Philanthropy department team members and YMCA staff and volunteers, the position is responsible for all donor relations as they pertain to the accurate processing of all donations, implementation of the donor stewardship program, prospect research, record keeping and the administration of the association’s donor database
A key focus of the Coordinator’s role is the effective management of the association’s current donor database as well as the association’s current financial management tool, and ensuring that records comply with CRA guidelines and best practice standards.
Financial Processing and Database Management
- The Coordinator will be expected to help develop a best-in-class donor experience for donors of all levels through accurate financial processing and records keeping.
- Daily processing of donations (cash, cheque, credit card), data entry, banking and receipting of donations from all sources (direct mail, online platforms etc.)
- Record all donations against appropriate GL & campaign codes
- Work with other departments to ensure monies raised at off-site events and campaigns is collected and recorded promptly
- Ensure tax receipts and gift acknowledgements are sent in accordance to all CRA guidelines and donor preferences
- Update all donor records from information received via appeal mail returns, and on-line transactions
- Answer donor enquiries and take phone donations
- Maintain all online platforms, ensuring the donor experience is uncomplicated and responsive to the needs of all donors
- Ensure that the privacy of and access to donor records and the security of the donor management system is restricted to relevant personnel
- Generate weekly, monthly, and quarterly reports for the Director, Philanthropy, executive leadership and board
- Respond to ad hoc requests for reports by other departments as needed for outreach lists, event registration, and funder reporting
Administration and Donor Stewardship
- In addition to overseeing the association’s donor stewardship plan, the coordinator will complete all administrative tasks associated with the Philanthropy Department and its committees.
- Oversee the donor stewardship program, thanking donors as per the department’s stewardship plan and assigning thank you calls and letters to senior leadership and volunteers as outlined
- Coordinate and assist volunteers from the Philanthropy Committee, planning meetings, maintaining correspondence, and recording minutes for distribution to all members
- Organize departmental correspondence as needed
- Prepare donor packages and information as required by the Director, Philanthropy or other department members and YMCA staff
- Work with Marketing and Communications department to identify opportunities to report-back to donors and communicate through direct mail or electronic correspondence
- Plan and implement an annual donor appreciation event
Donor and Prospect Research
- To pro-actively improve and develop the YMCA Oakville’s Philanthropic programs, the Coordinator will take a lead role in identifying and researching donor prospects and funding opportunities.
- Work with all departments to identify potential donors and funders and conduct detailed biographical, corporate, foundation and financial research on capacity and philanthropic interests
- Contribute data and analysis to aid in developing strategies, briefings and research profiles
- Qualify prospects by determining affiliation, interest and giving potential
- Provide recommendations regarding priority of prospects, giving capacity and propensity to donate
- Research funding opportunities through local, regional and national foundations and grantors
Fundraising Campaigns and Special Events
- The Coordinator is an integral part of all the Philanthropy Department’s fundraising campaigns and events though the management of event timing, processing of incoming funds and working with other Philanthropy team members to implement successful events.
- Track and provide support to internal (YMCA) fundraising events
- Act as a liaison between the Philanthropy Department and other YMCA departments to coordinate administration of special events and sit on planning committees as required
- Manage all campaign materials, and deliver packages to the appropriate department as needed for each event and campaign
- Track the results of all events and campaigns, communicating totals with staff, volunteers and event participants & donors
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Minimum 2-3 years administrative and CRM database experience, preferably in a fundraising / development environment
- High proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc) with exceptional ability to manage data and spreadsheets
- High level of confidentiality, sound judgment, diplomacy, sensitivity and tact
- Ability to manage multiple priorities
- Strong attention to detail / accuracy
- Project management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills / customer service
- A proactive nature with an ability to work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision
- Understanding of Canada Revenue Agency charitable tax receipting guidelines
- Minimum 2 years with relationship management software / donor databases
- Knowledge of basic accounting procedures
- Knowledge of Donor Perfect, Unison, Raisers Edge, or other donor management database considered an asset
- Knowledge of privacy legislation regulations
- Knowledge of book keeping practices and budgeting
- Previous YMCA experience
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to Chantal Ingram,
email@example.com/ 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our association.