Posting Date: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Closing Date: Friday, April 21, 2017
Location: St. Luke’s YMCA
Position: Full Time – Permanent
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is devoted to responding to the needs of our community through our core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, inclusiveness, and health. We are seeking individuals who are committed to making social change, have a passion for developing and nurturing potential, are dedicated to fostering strong relationships and building connections to the community. In 2015, through our dedication to helping all ages, backgrounds and abilities, we had a positive impact on the lives of 29,915 people! We couldn’t do this without the support of:
Over 550 staff who deliver on the YMCA mission and vision everyday, 424 volunteers who dedicated 9700 hours of their time, Community partners and funders who share our determination to strengthen the community and our countless donors who give generously so that our programs and services are accessible for all.
Due to the nature of our work, all offers of employment are conditional on the applicant providing a current and satisfactory Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening at the time of hire. You can apply for your Police Records Check at haltonpolice.ca.
Nature and Scope
Reporting to the general manager of child care, the Child Care Director provides operational leadership to multiple child care sites serving children 18 months to 12 years of age, and their families. The Child Care Director works independently as well as collaboratively and is directly responsible for maintaining good working relationships, and effectively managing the reputation of the YMCA, with the Halton District School Board, the Halton Catholic District School Board, the Ministry of Education, Reach Out Centre for Kids (ROCK), Erin Oaks, Health Department and Halton Region. Additionally, the Child Care Director builds and maintains positive working relationships with the families in our care. The Child Care Director is responsible for coaching, developing and supporting their team to deliver quality programs that are aligned with the Association strategic plan and annual outcomes. As a representative of the YMCA of Oakville, the Child Care Director represents the values, and articulates the mission and vision of the Association within the community.
Work Schedule & Benefits
Monday through Friday, 42.5 hours per week at St. Luke’s YMCA
Competitive Benefits Package
- Provide direction and support to a team of front line staff, team leaders, and on-site supervisors at multiple location
- Share and articulate the association strategic plan and annual outcomes with team
- Manage the performance of child care team by setting annual performance goals, conducting mid-year reviews and completing year-end performance reviews
- Develop and implement strategies to improve employee experience as measured through the association staff survey (in areas of direct influence, as identified in objective setting)
- Role model effective leadership and managerial behaviour that aligns with our YMCA core values consistently
- Maintain “good standings” with Quality First by annual completion; Infant and Toddler Environmental Rating Scale (ITERS), Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale (ECERS), School Age Environmental Rating Scale (SACERS), Inclusion Quality Scale (IQS), Quality Inclusive Scale (QIS), and Reflective Practice
- Ensure all administrative responsibilities are completed
- Plans and prepares annual operational budget for assigned cluster group
- Monitors fiscal performance on a monthly basis, accurately analyzes monthly variances and ensures plans are put in place to meet annual budget plan for entire cluster
- Ensures designated cluster is in compliance with the licensing requirements of the Child Care and Early Years Act
- Completes annual license renewals and maintains all staff profiles on the Ministry of Education’s Child Care Licensing System (CCLS)
- Ensures the ongoing implementation of the YMCA “A Place To Connect” before and after-school curriculum
- Maintain the delivery of high quality programs within assigned cluster
- Works with team to develop and implement action plans based on the results of the annual child care family satisfaction surveys
- Develop and maintain positive, professional relationships with the Ministry of Education, Halton Region and the Halton District School Board (separate and public)
- Develops and maintains positive working relationships with families.
- Anticipates, quickly assesses and effectively assists the department in resolving conflict and responding to challenges
- Responsible for Summer Kindergarten Program
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
This position requires an individual with demonstrated abilities in leading, coaching and cultivating a work environment of collaboration and teamwork. This individual must have the ability to articulate the vision of the association, and the department, while implementing strategies to effectively deliver on the objectives within the association strategic plan.
- College Diploma or University Degree in Early Childhood Education or related field
- Registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators / Ontario College of Teachers
- Minimum 2 years management/supervisory experience in the child care field
- Minimum 2 years working with children and families within a licensed child care environment
- Experience working with children and their families with developmental delays and families with complex needs with a focus on family centered practices
- Superior knowledge of child development ages 12 months to 12 years
- Knowledge of relevant acts, legislations, and frameworks, including but not limited to: Child and Family Services Act, Child Care and Early Years Act and How Does Learning Happen?
- Knowledge of YMCA curriculums; Playing To Learn and A Place To Connect
- Excellent leadership, coaching and mentoring skills are required to supervise a diverse group of staff
- Demonstrated experience in reflective practice and supervision
- Strong interpersonal skills, and relationship-building skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Proven budgetary management experience
- Excellent time management
- Demonstrate passion, enthusiasm and commitment to the YMCA’s mission, vision and core values
- Valid Ontario Driver’s License
- Current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Experience with the Ontario Child Care Management System (OCCMS)
- Prior experience working within the non-profit sector
- Working knowledge of Microsoft word, Microsoft excel and power point
- Food Handling Certificate
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies:
Relationship Building & Collaboration: Invests time and energy in developing relationships with others.
Quality Focus: Commitment to excellence, and is knowledgeable about trends and changes in external environments.
Invests in People: creates a safe environment that encourages open communication and feedback.
Risk Management: Mitigates potential risk and implements solutions and/or continuity plans.
Influencing/Managing Change: Follows through on commitments and models transparency and fairness.
If you are interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to Alison Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application