The YMCA of Oakville is a community of people dedicated to inclusion. Through our enhanced support facilitators, children with special needs, who might not otherwise have the resources to integrate effectively into group programs are given the opportunity to engage with other children and activities, and are able to have a fulfilling before and after school experience.
“I work 1:1 with a child with autism in a kindergarten before and after school program. When he first started with our program, he was to himself, didn’t really speak and had a difficult time with transition. Through my time with him I’ve seen a total transformation. The child now has friends (today he created a band with 2 other children), he sings, he is talking and learning words, and he is able to participate in our program. We have implemented quite a few strategies to assist the child throughout our program time, and he has come out of his shell. The children, staff and parents all enjoy seeing him. He interacts with everyone.” – Jessica, Enhanced Support Facilitator
We are seeking Specialists with any or all of the following Skills:
Demonstrated knowledge of American Sign Language**
Demonstrated experience working with children with ASD and ADHD
Demonstrated experience working with Children with Global Delays and Medically ChallengedChildren
Nature and Scope
Reporting to the Child Care Director, the Enhanced Support Facilitator provides additional support to children with differing abilities in our licensed child care centres serving children 3.8 to 12 years of age. Successful individuals will plan and implement an individualized program that meets the specific needs of the child, while working to integrate the child’s play effectively within a group setting. Additionally, they will work closely with families and teachers, as well as other community agencies in order to ensure ongoing communication which best supports each child within a group setting. They will deliver developmentally appropriate play-based programs that are reflective of both the children’s needs and their interests.
Salary, and Work Schedule
- Monday to Friday (December 2017 –June 2018)
- Must be available to work a split shift (ie: 7:00 am- 9 am and return from 3:00pm to 6:00 pm) 25 hrs per week
- Hourly Rate dependent on experience and qualifications ($14.50 to $17.50 /hour)
- YMCA membership
Responsibilities and Duties
- Working closely with children with different abilities, including: ADHS, ASD, and Global Delays.
- Working closely with the Child Care Director to develop and implement a wide range of developmentally appropriate activities that are engaging, fun and follow the interests of the children.
- Ensuring the delivery of high quality environment and programs which provides engaging quality experiences for the children on a daily basis.
- Ensures the principles and philosophy of YMCA Playing to Learn curriculum are embedded in the programs consistently.
- Working closely with the child care team to ensure program teachers are supported. When necessary, be involved in parent conferences.
- Ensuring compliance with YMCA policies and procedures and meet the requirements of the Child Care Early Years Act.
- Adherence to the YMCA’s Child Protection Policy.
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience working with individuals with differing abilities and their families
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Clear police security check and vulnerable sector screening
- Current medical (record of necessary immunizations)
- Strong collaboration and team skills
- Strong conflict resolution and problem solving skills
- Standard First Aid with CPR Level C (infant/child CPR)
- Experience working with children with behavioral issues
- Diploma or Degree in Child and Youth Work, Educational Assistant, or other related field is an asset
- Effective time management skills
- Demonstrated passion, enthusiasm and commitment to the YMCA’s mission, vision and core values
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com/ 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.