Posting Date: Tuesday, May 30, 2017
Closing Date: Friday, June 16, 2017
Position: Full Time – 1 year contract
Location: Various Locations
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is devoted to responding to the needs of our community through our core values of responsibility, honesty, caring, respect, inclusiveness, and health. We are seeking individuals who are committed to making social change, have a passion for developing and nurturing potential, are dedicated to fostering strong relationships and building connections to the community. In 2015, through our dedication to helping all ages, backgrounds and abilities, we had a positive impact on the lives of 29,915 people! We couldn’t do this without the support of:
Over 550 staff who deliver on the YMCA mission and vision everyday, 424 volunteers who dedicated 9700 hours of their time, Community partners and funders who share our determination to strengthen the community and our countless donors who give generously so that our programs and services are accessible for all.
Due to the nature of our work, all offers of employment are conditional on the applicant providing a current and satisfactory Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening at the time of hire. You can apply for your Police Records Check at haltonpolice.ca.
Nature and Scope
A YMCA of Oakville Child Care Cook is responsible for developing and implementing a six week rotational menu which follows Canada’s Food Guide. This would include preparing lunches and snacks for the children. The successful candidate would ensure that safe food handling practices are observed, and that the dietary needs and allergy restrictions of the children and/or centre are met. They are responsible for a monthly budget, and the organization of the child care centre’s kitchen. Additionally, they would be involved in the classrooms, and supporting the classroom.
Salary and Work Schedule
- Monday through Friday, hours and weekly schedule varies based on location
- Must be available to work shifts that begin at 7:00 a.m. and/or end at 6:00 p.m.
- 1-year contract June 28, 2017
- Full-Time 42.5 hours per week.
- Minimum starting rate – $14.25/per hour + WEG Premium
- Competitive Benefits Package
- YMCA Membership
- Ensures compliance with YMCA policies and procedure and the Child Care and Early Years Act
- Ensure compliance with the Health Protection and Promotion Act
- Dedicated to supporting the healthy growth and development of children that promotes a lifelong appreciation for learning
- Ensures positive, professional communication with families on an ongoing basis, and responds promptly to all requests, queries and concerns
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with other YMCA staff and school personnel
- Collaborates with other YMCA staff members and volunteers to support effective team work
- Participates in professional development including staff meetings, workshops and training
- Completes administration tasks as required
- Ensure the development of menus following the Canada Food Guide.
- Responsible for monthly budget to accommodate the menu.
- Responsible to change menu items as needed due to allergies, and dietary restrictions.
- Ensuring the safe storage of all food items.
- Responsible for day to day food preparation snacks, lunches
- Prepare all foods in a timely fashion in order to follow classroom(s) schedule.
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- High School Diploma – 18 years or older
- Experience working with children and families
- Experience preparing food, including preparing for children with allergies, and an awareness of religious and alternative dietary restrictions
- Effective conflict resolution and team work skills
- Strong professional relationship and communication skills
- Clear criminal reference check which includes vulnerable sector screening
- Current medical (record of necessary immunizations)
- Safe Food Handling Certificate
- First Aid with Infant & Child CPR
- College Diploma in a related field
- Previous experience as a cook or childcare worker
- Registered Early Childhood Educator in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: quality focus, relationship building and collaboration, commitment to organization mission, vision and values, communication, diversity and inclusion, integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application