Location : Various School Age Sites in Oakville
Position: Part Time – Split Shift, contract from date of hire to June 2018
Salary: $14.50 to $17.50 /hour
The YMCA of Oakville is a community of people dedicated to responsibility. Our Before and After School Program Teachers are responsible for the wellbeing, and creative learning of hundreds of children in schools across the Oakville Community. They offer the opportunity for children to continue to grow and learn in a safe, healthy environment, providing mentorship, healthy snacks, and creative programming on a daily basis.
“The innocent enthusiasm of the children I look after instantly reminds me to smile even through the hardest moments in the classroom. During this before and after school care I provide, I constantly witness my work truly having positive ramifications for my students, their families, and the atmosphere within my classroom. The YMCA of Oakville allows me to give my best care to each student and watch them grow.” – Sarah, Before and After Program Teacher
Nature and Scope
Our Child Care Program Teachers offer fun, nurturing programs for children 4 to 12 years of age in our before and after school programs. They are responsible for developing and delivering age appropriate, quality programs that support the healthy growth and development of children, in a safe and supervised environment. Program Teachers are trained to support children to make good decisions, become more independent, and take personal responsibility for their behaviour. As a values based organization, the Program Teachers in the YMCA encourage children to show respect for themselves, others, and the environment. Program Teachers help children develop these important life skills by setting limits, creating boundaries, and establishing standards for appropriate behaviour
Salary and Work Schedule
- Part-Time, contract position, from December 2017 to June, 2018
- Monday through Friday, hours typically from 7am to 9am and from 3pm to 6pm
- $14.50-17.50 (base wage range is dependent on certification)
Hourly wage enhancements
These positions are also eligible for an additional $0.93 per hour (General Operating Grant) and an extra $2.00 (Wage Enhancement Grant)
These hourly rate enhancements are subject to certain criteria are not guaranteed and are subject to change.
- Dedication to supporting the healthy growth and development of children that promotes a lifelong appreciation for learning
- Enhance social skills in children such as leadership, teamwork, problem solving, conflict resolution and the ability to form meaningful relationships with their peers
- Ensures positive, professional communication with families on an ongoing basis, and responds promptly to all requests, queries and concerns
- Deliver quality age-appropriate programs that are reflective of the varied interests of the group, following the YMCA Playing to Learn Curriculum
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with other YMCA staff and school personnel
- Collaborates with other YMCA staff members and volunteers to support effective team work
- Completes administration tasks as required
- Participates in professional development including staff meetings, workshops and training
- Adherence to YMCA Child Protection Policy
- Ensures compliance with YMCA policies and procedure and the Child Care and Early Years Act
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Experience working with children and families RECE positions require an ECE or OCT diploma or degree from a recognized college or university, in good standing with the College of Early Childhood Educators or the Ontario College of Teachers
- College diploma in a child and youth related field (ie. child and youth worker, recreation leadership, social work) is an asset
- Effective conflict resolution and team work skills
- Clear police records check which includes vulnerable sector screening
- Must have valid Standard First Aid with CPR C (infant/child CPR)
- Current medical (record of necessary immunizations)
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to email@example.com/ 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.