Posting date: August 10, 2016
Closing date: August 19, 2016
Position: Full – Time
Location: 410 Rebecca Street
Schedule: week day nights and weekend, 35 hours per week
As a charitable community service organization, the YMCA of Oakville responds to social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA’s determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people.
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values of: Responsibility, Honesty, Caring, Respect, Inclusiveness, and Health as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults. All offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides the YMCA of Oakville with a current and satisfactory Police Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Nature and Scope
Reporting directly to the Aquatics Supervisor, the Lesson Facilitator plays the role of designated pool operator and on deck supervisor. The successful candidate is responsible for ensuring service excellence in all Aquatic Programs. They oversee the supervision and safe operation of these programs, ensuring the YMCA of Oakville policies and guidelines, National YMCA standards, Provincial Standards (health regulations) and SAM 2.0 expectations are met.
The Lesson Facilitator will give direct leadership to YMCA swim lesson programs and services, which include swim lessons and leadership programs.
Leadership/ Facilitate Swim Program
- Responsible for nightly pool operation, maintains the quality of swim lesson programs and provides a healthy and safe environment by enforcing Ontario pool regulations /health regulations and YMCA aquatic program standards
- Provides support to lifeguards and instructors for aquatics related issues and concerns
- Monitors staff attendance to ensure consistency in swim lesson instruction, arranges shift coverage for staff in an emergency situation, and other administrative duties as required
- Ensures instructors complete online report cards accurately and on time, and the reports provided to parents
- Provides leadership and training to Part Time Staff, and guides the staff according the Lifeguard standards and guidelines
- Assists with quarterly in-service staff training in water safety, first aid, lifeguarding, and swim instruction according to standards, as well as on-going staff training throughout the year.
- Demonstrates problem solving, decision making, and excellent customer service
- Models appropriate behaviours to staff and members, in line with our Mission, Vision and Values;
- Establishes rapport and maintains effective relationship building behaviours with members, staff, volunteers and community.
- Represents the YMCA and the Association in a professional manner.
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Minimum 3 yrs. experience in Aquatics
- Minimum 2 yrs. Head Guard/leadership experience
- National Lifeguard Service Certification
- Standard First Aid, CPR -C
- LSS Swim instructor, lifesaving instructor/ examiner
- YMCA swim instructor
- Good communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
- Clear S
- First aid instructor/ examiner
- NLS instructor/examiner
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: quality focus, relationship building and collaboration, commitment to organization mission, vision and values, communication, diversity and inclusion, integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to the attention of
Wendy Huang, Aquatics Supervisor
firstname.lastname@example.org / 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to excellence and inclusion in our Association
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application