Nature and Scope
The child care and community initiatives department is responsible for the delivery of quality values-based programs and services for children, teens and young adults throughout Oakville. The three primary areas of program delivery include licensed child care (approximately 3,900 children/day), summer day camps (5,200 campers/annually) and community-based programs (approximately, 9,500 participants/annually). Additionally, the YMCA of Oakville delivers 2 signature community events annually including YMCA Healthy Kids Day and YMCA Peace Week. The administrator, child care and community initiatives will provide administrative and other departmental support in the areas highlighted above.
Work Schedule (full-time)
- Monday through Friday
- 35 hours per week
- Daytime shifts (ie. 9:00am-5:00pm), occasional evening or weekend work required
- Shifts may vary seasonally based on summer camp needs
- Ensures departmental administrative responsibilities are completed in an accurate and timely manner
- Ensures that departmental information is updated on our YMCA website, and that all relevant information is shared and promoted internally and externally as needed
- Works collaboratively with marketing and communications to promote programs where needed
- Manages department volunteer recruitment, screening and intake process
- Manages the YMCA financial assistance process for summer day camp and community programs
- Provides ongoing support with the processing of summer day camp and PA day registration
- Provides ongoing support for summer camp registration changes, withdrawals and cancellations through the summer
- Ensures positive, professional communication with families on an ongoing basis, and responds promptly to all requests, queries and concerns
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with other YMCA staff and external partners
- Collaborates with other YMCA staff members and volunteers to support effective team work
- Participates in professional development including staff meetings, workshops and training
- Completes all other administrative functions as required
- Ensures compliance to the YMCA Child Protection Policy
Knowledge, Skills, Ability and Experience
- High school diploma, relevant college diploma an asset
- Working knowledge of UNISON
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Power Point
- Ability to learn and apply new CRM (customer relationship management) software
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated customer service, conflict resolution and problem-solving skills
- Website management experience an asset
- Prior experience working within the non-profit sector, or with the YMCA an asset
- Responsive and flexible to support departmental priorities and requirements
- Current, valid police security check with vulnerable sector screening
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you, or someone you know, is interested in joining our team, please forward your cover letter and resume to to the attention of:
Manager, Community Initiatives
YMCA of Oakville
410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, ON L6K 1K7
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to
excellence and inclusion in our association.