Posting date: Tuesday November 7, 2017
Closing date: Tuesday November 21, 2017
Position: Full Time, permanent
Location: 410 Rebecca, Peter Gilgan Family YMCA
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is committed to strengthening community in spirit, mind and body. With the support over 560 staff, 380 volunteers, numerous community partners and donors, we deliver on our vision and mission every day. We are a community leader who progressively advocates for the well-being of people and building strong, healthy and vibrant communities.
Nature and Scope
Reporting to the VP Finance Risk & IT, the Accounting Manager is responsible for ensuring the timeliness and quality of data input, transactions and data files in support of administrative services provided by the Finance Department. Leading and supporting the A/R and A/P operations, the accounting manager is also responsible for providing support to the associations leadership staff with respect to departmental financial results and budgeting.
The Accounting Manager is also responsible for monitoring the day to day operations of the administrative staff including workload management, supervision, coaching and development. The administrative functions include accounts payable, accounts receivable, and child care billings.
This is an entry level management position, perfect for individuals with some supervisory experience and are looking to progress their careers in finance.
- Oversees day to day finance department activities and provides leadership to finance team, including scheduling, coaching, training and development.
- Maintain and update as required all current job documentation and financial processes, develop and implement a comprehensive business continuity plan.
- Responsible for setting goals for the Finance department as it relates to the Strategic and Annual Plan.
- Participate in Leadership Circle discussions and meetings of the Association.
- Ensure appropriate association wide policies and procedures are being applied in creating and maintaining all data, including internal controls, cash handling, expense approvals, receipting and compliance with PCI standards.
- Reconcile and allocate Child Care Wage Subsidy grants monthly and assist with annual reconciliations.
- Responsible for month end process; balance bank accounts, accrued expenses, journal entries, HST Return, generate financial statements, etc.
- Supports managers and account owners in preparing operating budgets, managing costs, reporting and forecasting and assist with preparation of annual
- budgets for the Association.
- Assist with the preparation and management of year-end audits and other accounting queries.
- Assist with the annual Association Yearbook Data collection and annual T3010 Charity Information Return.
- Responsible for General Administrative department budget of $1.5M.
Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Must have a university degree or college diploma in Business, with a major in Accounting.
- 1+ years Accounting experience
- Experience with a recognized Accounts software package, including exporting data for analysis.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel, data base applications and good proficiency in Microsoft Word.
- Demonstrated strong written verbal and presentation communication skills
- High levels of sound and independent judgment, reasoning and discretion
- High level attention to detail and accuracy while meeting deadlines; time management skills, multi-tasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision
- Current satisfactory Criminal Record Check – vulnerable sector
- Adherence to YMCA of Oakville Child Protection Policy
- Forecasting and budgeting experience
- Experience with Charitable or Not-for-Profit accounting and reporting
- 1+ years Supervisory experience
- Completion or near-completion of professional development program in CA, CGA, or CMA an asset.
Quality Focus: Is fiscally responsible and ensures the health of the YMCA today while protecting and enhancing its future.
Relationship Building and Collaboration: Maintains and enhances the associations reputation
Commitment to Organization Mission, Vision and Values: Demonstrates and promotes a personal understanding of and appreciation of the mission, vision and values of the association.
Communication: Exchanges information in a clear and concise manner.
Diversity and Inclusion: Appreciates that people from different cultures, opinions, characteristics and abilities bring a richness to the Y and our community.
Integrity and Trust: Maintains high ethical standards.
Influencing/Managing Change: Aligns and integrates systems, structures and teams to achieve objectives.
Risk Management: Demonstrates proactive management of risk (Financial/New Regulations/Operations/IT). Identifies emerging risks and potential threats.
Strategic Orientation/Forward Thinking: Aligns decisions with strategic priorities.
If you or someone you know is interested in joining our team, please forward a cover letter and resume to
firstname.lastname@example.org / 410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville.
Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with your application.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to
excellence and inclusion in our Association