Posting date: May 31, 2017
Closing date: June 21, 2017
Position: Full Time
Location: Peter Gilgan Family YMCA
Nature and Scope
The YMCA of Oakville is a charity that is committed to strengthening community in spirit, mind and body. With the support over 560 staff, 380 volunteers, numerous community partners and donors, we deliver on our vision and mission every day. We are a community leader who progressively advocates for the well-being of people and building strong, healthy and vibrant communities.
We are seeking an individual who has a passion and determination that inspires others to achieve results. Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director of Philanthropy gives leadership and strategic direction to the philanthropic programs and initiatives of the Association. Responsible for the strategic development of a diverse fundraising culture which includes the implementation and expansion of the association’s annual giving program, the development of new philanthropic initiatives, project specific giving, legacy /planned giving, endowment, grant writing proposals, fundraising and major gifts. The Director of Philanthropy will be responsible for identifying and cultivating prospective donors and partnerships and adopting best practices for donor engagement, relationship building, and stewardship of current major donors.
The Director of Philanthropy will lead the Association’s Philanthropy Committee and support the Associations Board of Directors in the achievement of their philanthropic goals.
- Plan, develop and maintain an integrated fundraising strategy.
- Support and enhance all major gift portfolios and stewardship of strategic partnerships
- Identify, cultivate and solicit prospective donors, research and secure grant and other funding opportunities.
- Provide strategic advice and counsel to departmental fundraising leads and assist them in the development, planning and optimization of special events and campaign-related communication materials. related to all fundraising campaigns.
- Develop and implement new philanthropic initiatives related to legacy/endowment/planned giving.
- Provide strategic direction to the volunteer recruitment and engagement program and provide leadership to the philanthropy department team, philanthropy committee and campaign volunteers
- Ensure the association’s Financial Development program complies with YMCA policies and procedures, Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and legal requirements and is aligned with industry best practices (e.g. Imagine Canada Standards Program).
- Plan and execute intentional donor recognition, cultivation and stewardship strategies.
Essential Education, Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Post-secondary degree or certification in related field.
- Minimum 5 years’ major gift and donor relations, donor cultivation and stewardship experience in progressively senior roles.
- Excellent internal and external relationship experience with exceptional networking skills.
- Ability to think strategically, outcome focused and a strong decision maker.
- Experience and proven track record with the successful implementation of major gifts programs and design and execution of endowment/planned giving programs and campaigns.
- Excellent skills in all methods of communication, grant writing and strong research skills.
- Proficient in Excel, data base management, social media and email applications.
- A proven track record in the strategic design and execution of annual fundraising campaigns.
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills.
- Knowledge of legislative requirements with respect to charitable gifts and receipting, basic accounting procedures and forecasting.
- Self-motivated with ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to work flexible hours.
- Clear security clearance with vulnerable sector screening.
Desirable Education, Knowledge, Skill, Ability and Experience
- Experience with leading a capital campaign is considered a strong asset
- CFRE designation preferred.
- Proven experience of writing grant proposals
- Knowledge of Donor Perfect/Raisers Edge and donor relationship platforms considered an asset.
- Marketing and events management experience considered an asset
The position requires the following Association Core Competencies: Quality focus, Relationship building and collaboration, Commitment to organization mission, vision and values, Communication, Diversity and inclusion, Integrity and trust.
If you or someone you know meets the required criteria for this exciting opportunity, please forward a cover letter and resume for the attention of Alison Williams, Manager Human Resources email@example.com
410 Rebecca Street, Oakville, Ontario, L6K 1K7 / or fax 905-842-6792
We appreciate your interest in a career opportunity with the YMCA of Oakville. Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Oakville values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to
excellence and inclusion in our Association.
Please let us know if you require accommodation with any aspects of the application or selection process.